Hot Cross Buns - Gluten and Dairy Free
It’s Easter time, and that means two very delicious things… chocolate, and of course Hot Cross Buns! I’ve always loved the smell of Hot Cross Buns, especially when they’ve been warmed up in the microwave or toaster. But nothing truly compares to the aroma that fills the entire house when you make your own at home! This recipe is surprisingly easy (even for the beginner baker) and as an added bonus is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free, so can be enjoyed by everyone this easter! Give it a go – you wont be disappointed!
Gluten and Dairy Free Hot Cross Buns
- 3 teaspoons (10g) dried yeast
- 1 ¾ cups Almond/Coconut milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 ¼ cups (plus 2 tablespoons extra) Healtheries Simple Bread Mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp salt
- 60g coconut butter or grass fed butter
- 2 cups sultanas
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tbsp Apricot Jam, warmed to glaze (optional)
Note: Feel free to add in some dark chocolate chunks to the recipe if you want to make it extra tasty! It’s easter after all…
1. Place yeast, warmed almond/coconut milk and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Whisk to dissolve sugar. Rest for 10 minutes. The mixture should be frothy and will double in size over time.
2. Sift together first measure of bread mix, spices and salt into the large bowl. Using fingertips, rub through butter. Add sultanas, eggs and yeast/milk/sugar mixture. Beat for 7 minutes.
4. Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop mixture into generous mounds on a greased 30x20cm pan, making 3 rows of 4 mounds each. Allow space for dough to rise.
5. Rest the dough in a warm place for 45 minutes until almost doubled. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced.
6. Mix an extra 2 tablespoons bread mix, 1 teaspoon coconut sugar and 1 tablespoon water to make a paste and pipe crosses on buns. Alternatively, you can pipe a mixture of icing sugar and almond milk across the buns once baked and cooled. Whatever tickles your fancy.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through and browned. Brush on jam while still warm and ice with icing sugar paste if you prefer this to the bread paste crosses.
Enjoy warm with a bit of coconut or grass fed butter and your favourite jam! Delicious.
Happy Easter everyone.